12/24/2010

The Plan

“You’re WHAT?”

Tessa winced, holding her cell to her ear with her shoulder as she slogged her way through the airport. It was an outrageously priced and lengthy flight and nothing about it was smart, but she was going.

He was coming home in a few days. She could wait—a smart woman would wait. But something told her to go.

Now.

She could come back with the guys after the shows. She’d be spending way too much time on a damn plane, but as soon as he got home they’d have his family, the kids, his parents—everyone wanted time with him and she was damn greedy at the moment.

“I know, it’s crazy. By the time I get out there and through customs he’ll be getting ready to go to soundcheck.”

“And you’ll be turning around to come back!”

“Nic, I just have to do it. Something in my gut says go.”

She was quiet for a moment. “Is something going on between you two?”

“No, no…nothing like that. It’s just a feeling.”

“I say it’s a I-want-to-sex-up-my-husband feeling.”

Tessa laughed. “Well, that’s a part of it, no doubt about it. But no, I talked to him on the phone and he just sounded wrong. Tired and distracted I’m used to, but he was off.”

“Was it the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing?”

“No, he’s not surprised. Ticked, sure…but not surprised.”

Nic sighed. “Well, you know your husband. Be sure to bring the kids over if you can manage it.”

“I’ll want to get away from Carol, so I’ll take you up on the offer. She’s staying longer than usual. Yay, me.”

“Oh, girl.”

She came to a halt as the line snaked around and through JFK’s terminal. Good thing she was very early. Blowing her bangs out of her face she dropped her overnighter and kicked it forward as the slow shuffle started. “It’s fine. We’ve managed a truce, but she still thinks I’m not good enough for her son. And the fact that I’m not making another grand baby? Yeah. I have about as much use as last year’s wardrobe.”

“She has a yearly wardrobe?”

“Don’t even get me started.”

“Well, she’s been living the high life for more years than not, darlin’. Italian boys take care of their mamas.”

She slipped her well used passport out of her purse and the card she’d charged her etickets on. That had been as much of a rude awakening as the realization that it would take twenty-four hours to get to Sydney. “Yeah well, good thing they take care of their wives as well.”

“I just bet, hussy.” A tiny voice went from whine to howl on the other end of the line. “Well, Mommy duties call.”

“Give the brats a kiss from Aunt Tessa.”

“Will do. Have fun you crazy girl.” Nic sighed. “I wish I could hop on a jet and go see my rockstar husband.”

“Nah, you’ve got your hot teacher waiting for you.”

“That’s right. I keep forgetting. Maybe I’ll put my plaid skirt on and see if he wants to play professor.”

“Now who’s the hussy?”

Nic laughed. “Love you, kiddo. Safe flight.”

“Love you too. See you in a few days.”

She stuffed her iPhone back into her bag, dragging it out again a moment later when the chime for a text came through. She smiled. It was late morning in Sydney, but Jon was obviously up and out for a run.

  • sweating and you’re not here, why is that?

She grinned, her middle finger fluttering across the keyboard as she shuffled along closing in on the check in counter.

  • because I’m freshly showered and I don’t want your smelly man-sweat anywhere near me

Thirty seconds later her phone chimed again and she couldn’t stop the laugh as she read.

  • you lie, woman. you love my man-sweat. when I get home I’m going to let you lick it all off me.

Biting her lip, she typed back.

  • you damn well better shower before you get back here. I only do concert sweat, rockstar, not filthy pig sweat.

Her phone rang instead of another text. A picture of her and Jon all pretzeled up on the hammock at the Hampton house came up with You Were Made For Me as the ringtone.

“Is that Sam Cooke?”

She turned to a man that had to be well into his seventies behind her with a laugh. “My husband. He’s a huge fan.”

“I didn’t think kids your age had taste anymore.”

“Sometimes I think my husband was born in the wrong era.” She winked at the man and picked up. “Hi, babe.”

“C’mon you know you wanna lick the sweat off of—“

“Jon, don’t you finish that sentence.”

“My neck.”

She giggled. “That’s not what you were thinking.”

“How do you know? Now who’s mind is in the gutter?”

“Not mine.”

“Right, and I’m married to Sandra Dee now?”

“You are? Did you get a quickie divorce? I didn’t sign any papers!”

His laughter was easy and open, and the worry that had been eating at her stomach lining eased up. “After what it took to get you to marry me? Fuck no.”

She shuffled forward, holding the phone tighter to her cheek. “I love when you sweet talk me. It’s all I can do to stop the swoon.”

His quick bark of laughter had her wavering about getting on the flight. Was she nuts going out there?  He was perfectly fine, she was just overreacting. He was probably just tired when she talked to him. She tapped her passport to her thigh and hefted her bag. She used the auto ticket reader and collected her boarding pass, scanning her passport so she could go check in at her gate.

“Where are you?”

“Airport.”

No sense in lying, he could hear the ambient noise and the man had certainly been in enough of them to know the sound.

“I know that. I can hear the calls over the speakers.”

She winced. Damn, she hoped she could get him off the phone before she got up to her gate. At least she actually had a story. “I had to drop off Michelle, Char was tearing around getting ready for the entire Donnelly clan to set down in her house.”

“How did Steph manage to get you to do that.”

“Bribe.”

“What on earth does my daughter have to bribe you with?”

“She’s taking Carol shopping for a whole day.”

“Good one!”

“Your wife is very, very smart.”

“I know, that’s why she married me.”

She snorted. “I drew the short straw and then I looked at you and felt sorry for you.”

“Man, why did I call again?”

“You’re a sadist and get off on my abuse.”

“That’s right. I forgot.”

A sudden lump formed. All the teasing reminded her of all the nights they’d missed lately. It wasn’t like he didn’t take time off and come home. He did, but God, she just wanted him in her arms. She wanted his lips on hers, his stupid, big nose bumping hers as he tipped his forehead to hers. Maybe she’d just been hearing something that wasn’t there so she could go and see him. Maybe it was her that needed that something indefinable that only Jon could provide.  “I miss you, Jonny.”

4 comments:

Super_Kiwi said...

Oh the text messages are back! LOL!
Ohh I do love a good plan as well. There is something about Christmastime and revisiting old friends and that's exactly what these two are. :)

I can't wait to see his reaction to her just "hopping" over to Sydney!

Nayeli said...

I know I've told you a million times but I so love these too, hope she has some sleeping pills to get through that long flight.

rutpop said...

Yay they're back. Thanks Tara, you know these are two of my favorites. Can't wait for the surprise.

TaraLeigh said...

Aww thanks, everyone.
I love them too.
it's my very own christmas present to me. ;)

It's a short one, and will be done by tomorrow.
;)

Followers